wind_sensor:meeting_minutes_apr_21_2017

Attended: Mengyuan, Creighton, Scott

  • Updates:
    • Met with Andy and Daisy to discuss current project status:
      • Mentioned how results of single microphone wind speed tests were not compromised
      • They suggested using different filters (e.g. FIR, Weiner filter, raised cosine, etc.)
    • Tested algorithm from 0 to 360 degrees
      • As expected, algorithm didn't work
      • Needs to be updated so can determine the direction at all 360 degrees
      • Analyzed raw microphone data obtained from all four microphones from 0 to 360 degrees at 20 degree increments, with the same microphone set as the reference angle for all tests
      • Could determine the direction by determining the reference angle based off of which microphone has the greatest wind speed, and which microphone has the second greatest wind speed
  • To Do:
    • Update wind direction algorithm based off of this week's findings
  • Updates:
    • Transferred all the components onto one breadboard to make it more convenient to carry. When we tested the system however, we discovered that the zero crossing detector was not working properly.
      • The output of the detector was not transitioning, even though we were sure that the receiver was indeed receiving a signal. When we tried to probe the signal at the receiver, the zero crossing detector started to magically work again. We attempted to test other configurations such as probing the emitter as well as the detector output, but that still didn't get the detector working again.
      • On a side note, we did manage to get the zero crossing detector to turn on by probing the ground rail using a separate oscilloscope. This did not make any sense as we only connected one end of the probe, with the other hanging, so we couldn't see how it could've possibly affected our circuit.
      • After thinking it was the circuitry, we pulled out the wires and tried to wire it up again. However, that caused more problems as the output of the receiver became very flaky (it would cut off at random times for no apparent reason).
    • Wrote a program to send pulses, record the received pulses, and print out the elapsed time between the send and received pulse. However, ran into difficulty getting the zero crossing detector to work properly.
    • Discussed with Andy and Daisy about our problem, they suggested to add an offset to our received signal so the wave is within our operating range (0V to 3.3V). We think this could potentially work so we will pursue this while trying to debug our current setup.
  • To Do:
    • Debug our current setup and test the program
    • Prepare for the poster presentation on Thursday

Authors

Contributing authors:

mwu snishihara

Created by mwu on 2017/04/22 07:20.

  • wind_sensor/meeting_minutes_apr_21_2017.txt
  • Last modified: 2017/04/24 20:50
  • by snishihara